Social media is a great tool for connecting with people, promoting your business and just plain socializing. You can learn great tips ranging from which gadgets best suit your lifestyle to how to make a great sandwich. If you’ve got a quirky interest, there’s probably someone else (possibly dozens, even hundreds) out there with that same quirky interests.
Yes, some people see social media as a time waster, a useless popularity contest and a distraction from the important things in life. But it’s fun and has a lot of practical businesses as well. Of course, you can get carried away with it so, in the tradition of Jeff Foxworthy’s “You might be a redneck” here are some fun indicators that you or someone you know might be addicted to social media:
- You have to carry an extra set of business cards with you – just to list all the social media communities you belong to.
- An attractive person walks by and you whisper to your friends “wow, I’d like to friend him/her on Facebook.”
- You refer to your friends from Twitter by their @ username when you talk to them in person.
- You send out twice as many e-cards at Christmastime to your social media friends as you send real cards to people you’ve met in person.
- You own a t-shirt that says either “Tweet this!”or “Digg this!”
- You wake up extra early to be the first one in your online circle of friends to wish everyone a good morning.
- You subscribe to 100 RSS feeds and 100 channels on Youtube just so you can be the first to post a link to the next viral meme.
- You choose your friends based on their Twinfluence.
- You suffer from updates withdrawal when you run to the grocery store and forget your iPhone at home.
- You stopped driving in to work and started taking the train just so you can continue to post updates during that otherwise wasted time.
- You have a tickler file titled “cool status updates.”
- You’re seeing someone to help you with on-line/off-line life balance.
- You’ve created multiple accounts in the same community and each one has taken on a personality of its own.
- You have nightmares about your account getting locked out.
- You run into people at the supermarket that recognize you from social media.
- The microphone on your cell phone stops working but it takes you over a week to realize it.
- Your entire online profile is based on a character you created in grade school.
- You know at least three people in each major city throughout the world.
- You have a tattoo with your Twitter username or myspace url on it.
- All your emails and text messages are 140 characters or less – out of habit.
- When you don’t post an update on your status for 24 hours, you get 100 messages asking if you’re okay.
- You find it to be a traumatic experience when someone stops following your updates on Twitter.
- People offer you money to post a link to their web site.
- You created your own Ning network and are migrating everyone to it.
Have some more? Add a comment and include a link to your favorite social media profile.
James Feudo owns the Boston Web Design Agency JVF Solutions and loves blogging about personal development and communication in his spare time.
3 thoughts on “You Might Be Addicted to Social Media If…”
Well, as a relatively newbie Tweeter (5 weeks?) I don’t fall into ALL of those areas but I think I know Tweeters who do! I am really enjoying getting to know so many talented people through their Tweets. Hopefully I don’t fall overboard!!!
Thanks for the comment Tracey and I agree with you about the folks that are out there. I actually fall into quite a bit of these habits myself – but it’s fun and beats watching TV, right? I was ready to write Twitter off a few weeks back but it’s been great connecting with so many interesting people (yourself included) lately.
Pingback:The Social Media Trap | Overnight Sensation - Public Speaking, Communication and Personal Development