Here are some of the things from the past week that I’ve come across and felt were worth sharing. As always, feel free to leave a comment on the blog or on social media if you’d like to add to the discussion. And if you like what’s in here, please use one or more of those buttons at the bottom of the post to share with friends.
Yesterday was Independence Day in the US. I hope everyone had a happy & safe 4th!
What I’ve learned:
- We’ve been having a lot of thunderstorms over the past week. I’ve heard that it is unsafe to shower or wash dishes during storms, but it is really true? Apparently it is, according to an article from Today. The bottom line is that when lightning hits a house, it can get conducted through either your pipes or electric wires. So keep this in mind next time there is lightening in your area – it could save you from a serious injury.
- I’m in the final stretch of Cash Copy By Jeffrey Lant and continuing to learn a lot (I read 70-100 pages per week). One of the things I found interesting in these last few chapters was the cost-benefit analysis of various print offerings. Is color worth it? What about different weights of paper? He argues that these premiums aren’t usually worth the added cost, except for certain situations where they illustrate the benefits of your product or service. It got me thinking of an article about 6K and 8K TVs where they have to produce short video clips to show off their capabilities (as very little content exists at this definition). The benefit of these TVs is their picture, so it makes sense to go the extra mile. But if your product is a lawn mower, having an ad printed in high color or shot In 4K isn’t important. Instead, focus on your prospect having a lawn that’s weed free and will make their neighbors jealous.
What I’ve written:
- This past week I wrote a blog post about depression and anxiety. COVID-19 has has caused a spike in depression and related illnesses. If you feel that you’re feeling more than “the blues,” then definitely speak to an expert. In the US, you can call 1-800-662-4357. I also recommend the below video
- I’ve continued blogging on my new writing site. I posted this week about my initial feelings when sharing something creative with friends and family. There are certain things that many of us are reluctant to share for various reasons. Even though I love karaoke, I don’t really sing around people that know me (part of the reason is that I’m not a very good singer). I think a lot of us fear the reaction we’ll get from the people we care about. But as long as you believe in what you have to offer, other’s opinions shouldn’t matter to you.
- As you may be aware, my first novel is finally for sale on Amazon. It’s only available in kindle format at the moment but a paperback version will be available shortly. I wrote a post about the process and my lessons learned.
Cool / Interesting / Retro Stuff:
- In the spirit of 80’s TV shows from the last two updates, I came across the intro for Airwolf. Airwolf was a TV show about a sophisticated helicopter – I considered it the flying version of Knight Rider. You can watch the intro below.
- Some fun things to share with your friends on Social Media:
Quote(s) of the week:
Joke of the week:
One time I debated a flat earth-er.
He got so mad that he stormed off saying that he would walk to the edge of the earth just to prove me wrong. He’ll come around eventually
I’ll be publishing this list each week on my blog, Facebook, LinkedIn and via my email list. Please feel free to share this with anyone who might find this helpful. You can also click one of the buttons below to share to your favorite social media service.
Also, please use the below form to ask any questions or provide feedback:
James Feudo owns the Boston Web Design Agency JVF Solutions and loves blogging about personal development and communication in his spare time.