There’s an old joke about a guy that prays every day and asks God to help him win the lottery. Finally, God speaks to the man and says “could you at least meet me halfway and buy a ticket?”
Most people wake up every day and wish for things: fame, fortune, success, etc… However, shockingly few people actually take action to make these things happen. The main cause of this is that we’re too busy — we’re so caught up in day to day activities that we don’t have time to pursue the things we really want. Sometimes taking that first step, buying the ticket, is all we need to do to get the ball rolling and creating the momentum we need.
Even tiny steps are better than no steps so if you have a goal that you’re not doing anything with, try these baby steps to start building your momentum:
- Write down your goal and describe your desired result in detail.
- Set a date that you will accomplish the goal by.
- Make a list of resources that you’ll need to accomplish the goal.
- Make a list of steps for accomplishing the goal.
- Talk to someone that can help you accomplish your goal.
- Break your goal and action items down into smaller more manageable chunks.
Try to set aside just a few minutes every day for at least three weeks to do at least one small thing to advance you in the right direction. If you can do this for this short period of time, you’ll find that each day you’ll forward to working towards your goal. You’ll automatically look for time each day for this and only an emergency will prevent you from breaking your streak. As you build on each small success, you’ll find that you’ll hunger for larger ones and then before you know it, you’ll be well on your way to accomplishing your goal.