Below are some of the things from the past week that I’ve come across and felt were worth sharing. As always, feel free to leave a comment on the blog or on social media if you’d like to add to the discussion.
What I’ve learned:
- Ben Lionel Scott has some excellent motivational videos on his YouTube Channel. One that has stood out recently is called “Fight for your dream” and features some powerful words about goals not being easy to attain by John Burk . What especially jumps out at me is: “You have to look at it like this if you truly want to succeed in life: Your dreams and goals are your enemies. They want nothing to do with you. They refuse to be conquered, unless you are willing to get out there and put in the work, and invest in with your dedication, your time, your pain, your effort, your blood, your sweat, your tears.” It’s well worth the three minutes of your time to watch.
- I’m also a huge fan of Admiral William H. McRaven and his commencement speech from UT at Austin in 2014. I’ve seen a number of different videos from his speech but I felt this one really stands out.
- I’ve been reading “Rediscover the Saints”Â by Matthew Kelly which is a quick but good read. Even if you’re not religious, the questions it asks through each chapter (which takes about five minutes to read) get you thinking about how to face some of life’s challenges. One of my New Years Resolutions was to be a better person so these questions have been very helpful to me.
What I’ve written:
- I’m getting back into the swing of blogging so expect to see a few posts each week.
- Another resolution for this year is to finish things that I’ve started. I started my first novel in 2008 called “The Beautiful People” but it’s still not finished. I have a few friends giving it a read and based on their feedback (and the amount of re-work it needs), I’m targeting it being released by end of March.
What I’ve found:
- I purchased a Modern Movement M-Board trainer Â which I use to work my balance while I watch TV. It’s great if you snowboard or surf (I do neither) but I’ve enjoyed using it.
- There’s an interesting video from Cheddar about a tree climbing tool that I found pretty interesting. I don’t have coconut trees but if I ever needed to climb trees, this would be a fun way to do it.
Quote(s) of the week:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.” — Mark Twain
Joke(s) of the week:
If you liked The Office, you might appreciate this: